R0b0t1 wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 12:36 PM, R0b0t1 <r03...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 11:53 AM, Raffaele Belardi
>> <raffaele.bela...@st.com> wrote:
>>> (Moved from [pycharm-community vs pycharm-professional] thread)

>>> I suppose vim on Host + ssh for transfer/run would be fine for me.
>>>
>>> For debugging I saw some support for python is available in gdb but I'm not
>>> sure of the
>>> environment, would I run gdb on the host or on the target (via gdbserver)?
>>> Also, is gdb a viable solution given the interpreted nature of python or
>>> I'd better start
>>> off with some GUI/IDE?
>>
>> This is where it gets a bit weird... It seems there are multiple
>> custom remote debug implementations.
>>
>> From some discussion on what PyCharm does (how it was broken by a
>> company firewall) it looks like it starts an ssh connection to the
>> target machine and runs pdb. PyDev may do something similar but it
>> looks like it replaces pdb with its own module.
>>
>> Microsoft uses https://github.com/Microsoft/ptvsd. Visual Studio Code
>> is actually quite good and should run on Gentoo - it is open source,
>> as is their remote python debugger. I had forgotten about it but if
>> you want a GUI do strongly consider it.
>
> Also this, sorry - https://github.com/quantopian/qdb.

I had a quick look at the native python debugger pdb, I suppose that it should
be fine
till I'll be good enough with coding to crash the interpreter :-). I'll edit on
the host
('USE=python emerge vim') and share mounts via NFS. Thanks for the qdb hint,
looks promising.
VSCode license has some privacy statements that I don't like.

thanks,

raffaele