Mick wrote:
> On Friday, 26 April 2019 18:00:13 BST Dale wrote:
>> Grant Edwards wrote:
>>> Yes, that's how it's usually done.

>>> Exactly.
>> Picking last reply.  I got the printer, removed all the shipping stuff,
>> did the normal setup and got a test page printed from CUPS, in color.
>> I'm taking this from the CUPS printer page that shows the connection.
>> It printed from Kwrite and shows as ready for other programs as well.  I
>> would like someone to confirm that this is the best way to have this set
>> up.  I googled and can't find a howto for this.  Most everything I found
>> referenced .rpm and .deb stuff.
> Printers are plug 'n play these days.  There is no manual configuration
> needed, unless your PCs and/or router configurations do not use zeroconf/mDNS.

Well, I could access it thorough its web interface but it wouldn't
print.  It would say it couldn't find it or something.  After I set up
cups as shown below, it printed.  The biggest thing I did different was
to put in the IP instead of letting it auto-detect the printer.  In the
past, my old HP printers tended to be auto-detected pretty well.  I
would just click continue and when done, out came the test page.  This
one took a little extra to get it printing.

I've printed several recipes so far and it is printing fine so I guess
this is *a* proper way to have it set up.

>> Lexmark_C2325dw (Idle, Accepting Jobs, Not Shared)
>> Location:    Local Printer
>> Driver:    Lexmark C2300 Series (color, 2-sided printing)
>> Connection:    ipp://192.168.2.6
>> Defaults:    job-sheets=none, none media=na_letter_8.5x11in
>> sides=two-sided-long-edge
>>

>> The only way I could find to print is using the ipp thingy, at least it
>> was the first way I could print successfully.  Still, is this the proper
>> way?
> The printer manual should state what protocols it able to communicate over.
> Failing this, try to login using its web GUI (usually on port 80) with a
> browser.  There will be some network configuration page where information may
> be provided on what protocols/ports are available.

Found that but didn't help me any.  I tried that after I tried pinging
it and it worked but still wouldn't print.  CUPS wanted to be a bit
stubborn about it.  lol

>> P. S.  Is there anything special I should do to make sure no one can
>> access my printer over the internet and do something bad?  Does the DSL
>> modem and router protect that by default?
> When you access the printer over its web GUI set up a password - it should
> probably ask you for it.  In addition, switch off any services you do not
> use,
> assuming it offers you such a choice, e.g. SNMP.  Finally, disable the WiFi
> on
> the printer, if it offers this option.
>
> Regarding your modem, unless it is NAT-ing fully, like a router would, it
> will
> expose your router to the Internet.  In any case, your router will isolate
> WAN-LAN from probing eyes with its NAT - so you should be safe enough.

If I recall correctly, my modem is sort of like a router even tho it
only has one connection.  I read that somewhere.  During printer setup
on the little display, I told it no wi-fi.  One of these days, I may
start using that router that has wireless.  I did plug it in the other
day and it works.  I found it at a thrift store for $2.98 I think.  It
still had the sticker on it.  lol  I did go turn it off tho.  I guess it
just didn't look for a wi-fi-connection but turned it on anyway.

One thing that surprised me.  I was printing a multi-page recipe and the
first page came out, then it pulled it back in and I was like, what?
Then it came out again, printed on both sides.  When I realized it was
printing both sides, which will save a lot of paper and space in my
binder, I was in love.  I never could get a ink jet printer to do that
correctly.  ;-)

Dale

:-)  :-)