Manuel McLure wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 27, 2019 at 2:43 PM Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com
> <mailto:rdalek1...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I do have a router, that's what the printer is connected too.  I can't
>     recall what it is called but remember the DSL modem is supposed to be
>     pretty secure on its own.  I think it can work in bridge mode or
>     router/whatever mode.  Now that I think about it, it's in router or
>     whatever mode because the login and password goes in the router if
>     I put
>     the modem in bridge mode.  I put the router in for two reasons.  One,
>     sometimes I have a 2nd puter that needs internet access, usually
>     when I
>     am working on someone else's puter.  2nd, it adds another layer of
>     security, I would hope anyway.  I've been using this for a good long
>     time and nothing weird has happened, yet anyway.  If my DVD tray
>     starts
>     sliding in and out, that may require attention.  lol
>
>     I went to a website and got it to test my stuff once.  It said it was
>     secure.  It's been a while tho.
>

> Given the fact that your printer got a 192.168.XXX.XXX address, I
> would say there's a 99.999% chance that your router/modem is doing NAT
> and you don't have to worry about it.
> --
> Manuel A. McLure WW1FA <man...@mclure.org <mailto:man...@mclure.org>>
> <http://www.mclure.org>
> ...for in Ulthar, according to an ancient and significant law,
> no man may kill a cat.                       -- H.P. Lovecraft

I'm no networking guru by any stretch, I'm sure others would agree with
that, but that's my thinking.  After all, if you have a printer with the
same IP, how would it know mine from yours unless it is local only?
>From my understanding, 192.168.*.* addresses are always local only IPs.

The worst thing that could happen is someone prints stuff until it runs
out of paper if I'm not here or I cut it off if I am here and notice it
printing something that isn't mine.  Surely that printer can't be used
for much else.

Now to go find those mount and chroot commands for rescuing a failed
Gentoo install and getting those printed out.  I been wanting the
updated version of that for years now.

Dale

:-)  :-)