I'm not sure I use the correct terminology below, but please bear with me
while I try to describe a long standing problem I'm trying to solve:

I've been mostly using x11-terms/rxvt-unicode as a terminal emulator in X.
When resizing its window to a larger width, long lines of code which had
wrapped over to the next line, are re-adjusted (reflow) to the new line length
covering the increased width of the resized wider window.  I assume this is
because the urxvt window content is redrawn in real time.  Not all commands
allow this.  For example, 'ps axf' neither wraps over nor is redrawn, chopping
off all content not fitting within the available terminal window width.

In xterm and friends the lines remain at the same original fixed width,
whether the window is resized to a wider setting or not.  In other words the
line of code does not reflow to adapt to the extra length afforded by a now
wider window aperture.

Is there some setting I can apply to address this annoying phenomenon?

--
Regards,
Mick