On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 8:37 PM Grant Taylor
<gtay...@gentoo.tnetconsulting.net> wrote:

> On 6/21/19 12:03 PM, Mick wrote:

> > However, lines do not wrap around when I resize the xterm window.  :(
>
> I've never seen this work inside of XTerm.
>

> XTerm (and many other consoles) only display the output as it was given
> to them.  They don't change the output when the window changes.  So if
> they are given 80 characters of text on one line and 35 on the next
> line, XTerm (et al.) display those two lines of text, even on a wider
> window.
>
> XTerm is not aware (cognizant of the fact) that the 80 characters and
> the 35 characters are related to each other.
>
> If you resize the window smaller, XTerm drops the characters between the
> new width and the old width that it had.  It no longer has them to
> display when you widen the window back out.

My xterm wraps & resizes just fine (e.g., a long line wraps; on
maximizing the window, contents are redrawn and use just one line, if
it fits). I don't think I did anything special for this to work. Maybe
it's window manager related? I use openbox. My USE variables for xterm
are the same as Mick's.

Jorge Almeida