On Sat, Jun 22, 2019 at 12:44 AM Grant Taylor
<gtay...@gentoo.tnetconsulting.net> wrote:

> > This was expected. After all, the output of "cat foo" is not processed
> > through readline.
>
> I don't think that readline has anything to do with this.

I think (wrongly?) that readline deals with redrawing when typing a
command in the shell.

> > (But then, how can rxvt behave differently?)
>
> I don't know about rxvt per say.
>
> But I thought there was a common library (libterm?) used by a number of
> terminal emulators that actually saved the output to a temporary file.
> That way they could re-display the output if (when) the window size changed.
>
> After emerging and testing rxvt, yes, it will rewrap the line to the new
> window width.  It seems as if it saves the output as discreet lines and
> re-wraps them individually based on the terminal width.  So, the output
> of an ls -l in a 132 character window, causes each line to be re-wrapped
> (as below) when reducing the window width.

There is a dev-libs/libtermkey, which I don't have installed. However,
my urxvt behaves as you describe, more or less:
- open urxvt
- cat some file with long  enough lines
- lines wrap
- shrink window (horizontally)
- contents are NOT redrawn (just like xterm)
- restore window size
- cat same file, etc
- contents are now redrawn properly!

It appears urxvt does the job by itself (minus what seems to be a bug)

Jorge
-