On Tuesday, 25 June 2019 10:00:11 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Monday, 24 June 2019 21:40:07 BST Mick wrote:
> > According to the current wiki page these days the kde-meta has been
> >
> > replaced with plasma-meta.  This is how I have configured plasma-meta:
> >      Installed versions:  5.15.5(5)(12:58:00 14/06/19)(bluetooth browser-
> >
> > integration crypt desktop-portal display-manager elogind handbook legacy-
> > systray pam pm-utils sddm wallpapers -consolekit -discover -grub -gtk -
> > networkmanager -plymouth -pulseaudio -sdk -systemd)
> >
> > BUT ... I am thinking of uninstalling it, deplclean-ing my world and
> > installing  kde-plasma/plasma-desktop which is the slim version, while
> > keeping some select kde-meta packages I need/want.
>
> I made quite a determined attempt to do that on this system. I would
> uninstall a meta package, then see what packages would be removed by emerge
> -c, and emerge --noreplace any that I wanted to keep. Sounds simple, eh?
> Not so. I soon found myself mired in loops and contradictory dependencies
> which I couldn't escape.
>
> I ended up reinstalling from scratch, avoiding as many meta-packages as I
> could. I tried to build on kde-plasma/plasma-desktop, but it was simply too
> basic. I spent a long time trying to find packages to restore what I was
> used to in kde-plasma, but I concluded that it would need the knowledge of
> a kde packager.
>
> So I do still have five meta-packages. Ho hum.
>
> I don't want to warn you off altogether, but at least be ready for some
> tricky work. Lots of it!

Thank you Peter, I have been down that rabbit hole myself a few times and I'd
rather avoid repeating it as long as I can.  The very reason I have not
implemented the same approach on this PC and thought of stiking to the wiki,
is because my package-at-a-time KDE approach invariably ends up breaking some
of the plasma desktop integration I want/need.

--
Regards,

Mick