> What about USE flags for mesa and libva?

 x11-libs/libva-2.4.0:0/2::gentoo  USE="X drm opengl -utils -vdpau -wayland"

media-libs/mesa-19.1.1::gentoo  USE="classic dri3 egl gallium gbm gles2
llvm vaapi -d3d9 -debug -gles1 (-libglvnd) -lm_sensors -opencl -osmesa
-pax_kernel -pic (-selinux) -test -unwind -valgrind -vdpau -vulkan
-vulkan-overlay -wayland -xa -xvmc"

> This wouldn't happen to be a 10-bit encoded x265, would it? If it is,
> 10-bit hardware decoding is only supported in Kaby Lake or newer (this
> could explain it decoding in software/on CPU instead of GPU.)

 That's possible. Is there an easy way to tell?

> I also had to boot with UEFI or no hardware decoding happened at all.
> Mine was old enough to give you a choice but video performance suffered
> in BIOS boot mode.
>
> Damn - this is in BIOS mode... Very odd that makes a difference. Nice find.

> When I got my celeron-based NUC I discovered that just because the CPU
> has some hardware offloading doesn't mean software will use it. :(

This box is a NUC (NUC6i5SYB) that im using for a media PC.