On 6/25/19 11:42 PM, Adam Carter wrote:

    What about USE flags for mesa and libva?

 x11-libs/libva-2.4.0:0/2::gentoo  USE="X drm opengl -utils -vdpau -wayland"

media-libs/mesa-19.1.1::gentoo  USE="classic dri3 egl gallium gbm gles2 llvm vaapi -d3d9 -debug -gles1 (-libglvnd) -lm_sensors -opencl -osmesa -pax_kernel -pic (-selinux) -test -unwind -valgrind -vdpau -vulkan -vulkan-overlay -wayland -xa -xvmc"

    This wouldn't happen to be a 10-bit encoded x265, would it? If it is,
    10-bit hardware decoding is only supported in Kaby Lake or newer (this
    could explain it decoding in software/on CPU instead of GPU.)

  That's possible. Is there an easy way to tell?

    I also had to boot with UEFI or no hardware decoding happened at all.
    Mine was old enough to give you a choice but video performance suffered
    in BIOS boot mode.

Damn - this is in BIOS mode... Very odd that makes a difference. Nice find.

    When I got my celeron-based NUC I discovered that just because the CPU
    has some hardware offloading doesn't mean software will use it. :(

This box is a NUC (NUC6i5SYB) that im using for a media PC.

Mine's an older Celeron. It struggled with 1080p video. I found back then (maybe six years ago?) a thread stating Intel locks out some hardware in BIOS mode so performance will suffer. All I did at the time was grind my teeth and fight it to get it to boot in UEFI mode, and I could see the hardware offload on 1080p was working correctly.

I see from your other reply it is a 10-bit file, that would explain why hardware offloading doesn't work - it's not supported on that CPU. Have you tried an 8-bit encoded file to see if the hardware offloading works?

Dan