P Levine wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 9:16 PM Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com
> <mailto:rdalek1...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Dave Fellows wrote:
>     >> P Levine wrote:
>     >>> On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 10:56 PM Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com
>     <mailto:rdalek1...@gmail.com>
>     >>> <mailto:rdalek1...@gmail.com <mailto:rdalek1...@gmail.com>>>
>     wrote:
>     >>>
>     >>>     Howdy,
>     >>>
>     >>>     I upgraded my system last night.  I logged out and back in
>     earlier and
>     >>>     have noticed something new.  It seems to only allow one
>     instance of
>     >>>     Dolphin to run at a time.  I usually have three or four
>     running for
>     >>>     doing different things in different locations.  It just
>     makes it
>     >>>     easier
>     >>>     for me to multi-task at times.  What I've noticed with the
>     new version
>     >>>     is that if I have a instance open on say desktop 7 and
>     then want
>     >>>     to open
>     >>>     a new instance on desktop 4, it moves the already running
>     dolphin from
>     >>>     desktop 7 to 4.  It doesn't open a new instance.  I then lose
>     >>>     where I am
>     >>>     when I get ready to go back to work on something in the
>     previous
>     >>>     instance.
>     >>>
>     >>>     Current version of Dolphin and USE flags:
>     >>>
>     >>>     kde-apps/dolphin-19.08.0:5::gentoo  USE="handbook
>     -activities -debug
>     >>>     -semantic-desktop -test"
>     >>>
>     >>>     Previous version that worked normally:
>     >>>
>     >>>     kde-apps/dolphin-19.04.3
>     >>>
>     >>>     Has anyone else noticed this?  I've looked in the
>     Configure section to
>     >>>     see if I can change the behavior but can't find anything
>     related.  I
>     >>>     checked to see if I could add a option on the command line
>     as well.  I
>     >>>     even poked around System Settings but can't find anything
>     there
>     >>>     either.
>     >>>     Is this a new thing, a bug or what?
>     >>>
>     >>>     Thanks for the help.
>     >>>
>     >>>     Dale
>     >>>
>     >>>     :-)  :-)
>     >>>
>     >>>
>     >>> The behaviour was changed such that dolphin opens new instances in
>     >>> tabs by default.  If you want to change that, edit the desktop
>     file
> [...]

It sounds like it.  It seems it is hardcoded to do this at the moment.
This seriously makes me want to start using another file manager.  I
don't mind someone testing new features but at the very least, have it
where it can be disabled for those who do not want it or are set up not
to need it.  This makes me have to do more to get to where I want.
Instead of clicking my Video folder for example, I have to do a Meta + e
and then navigate to that folder.  Before this, I simply clicked the
Video folder on my desktop and I was there.  It's the same for other
folders as well.  This reminds me of the switch from KDE3 to KDE4 and
the mess that created.  I'm beginning to wonder about KDE.

For those who prefer this behavior, I'm sure it is a good thing.  I
suspect tho that there are a lot who don't like this sprung on them.  If
I'd known about this, I wouldn't have allowed the upgrade until the fix
was released.

Thanks for finding that.  At least there may be a fix coming.  If not,
I'll find other options.

Dale

:-)  :-)