* Daniel Frey:

> I have exactly one choice for an ISP and I need a static IP. The ISP
> disables ipv6 for some reason when you have a static IP.

Like I said, the availability of "decent" ISPs varies by location, and
there are of course locations where one is basically screwed when it
comes to IPv6, even in November 2019.

I have no intention whatsoever to chide Gentoo users who cannot have
IPv6 due to their ISP. I only meant to mention that now is a good time
to (a) consider IPv6 if you can get it, (b) consider IPv6 if you thought
about purchasing a new router during Black Friday or Christmas sales
offers, (c) let your ISP know that you are interested in IPv6, and
perhaps consider choosing a different ISP with more modern service (if
you realistically can do that).

We're not exactly swimming in ISPs where I live, and I have been biting
ISP ankles for more than a decade to make my requirements known. Things
have improved, luckily, but they are far from perfect. I am simply
unwilling to pay for additional single IPv4 addresses while whole IPv6
subnets are available in abundance.

According to RIPE, almost every member (LIR) qualifies for a /29 subnet
right away, no questions asked, so handing out /48 or at least /56
subnets to customers should be a no-brainer.

Gentoo users are often technically skilled and therefore in a position
to make good use of IPv6. I think it would be beneficial to let ISPs and
router manufacturers know that IPv6 is not some exotic luxury.

-Ralph