* Ian Zimmerman:

> But what about connecting to the outside world? For that, the
> link-local address doesn't work.

It does work, actually. fe80::1 is a perfectly valid way to specify the
default gateway. Remember that NICs have several IPv6 addresses with
different scopes.

> No configuration needed for this ULA thing? How does it happen, then -
> is it implemented entirely in the kernel?

Before I try to come up with my own explanation, I suggest you search
for terms like Neighbor Discovery Protocol (NDP) and Stateless Address
Autoconfiguration (SLAAC). The latter, for example, is the reason why
DHCPv6 is often not necessary.

-Ralph