On Thu, Nov 28, 2019 at 03:07:43AM +0100, Ralph Seichter wrote

> Personally, I don't think static IPv6 addresses are very useful,
> because machines in a local IPv6 network can easily locate each other
> using link-local addressing, without the need to configure this in
> any way. In the example above, the link-local address fe80::1 means
> "the default IPv6 gateway out of here".

  I've got 4 PCs of various ages at home, and a couple of laptops.  By
using static RFC1918 IPV4 addresses and /etc/hosts entries, I can refer
to the PCs by short easy-to-remember names.  My router/modem serves out
DHCP addresses starting at the bottom of a range, so even the laptop is
effectively on a static IP.  This allows me to easily ssh+scp between
machines.  How would this be accomplished under IPV6?

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>