On 2019-11-28 13:20, james wrote:

> My specific (eventual) goal is to communicate/manage a wide variety of
> gentoo systems, from servers & workstations to a myriad of embedded
> and 5G minimal gentoo systems; particularly those on embedded
> processors that have modest resources.

I have no "wide variety" of systems - more like 5, and only one of them
runs gentoo.  I use git to keep track of configuration changes.  One git
repository for each of /etc, ~/.config, and /usr/local.  I wrote a
simple distributed command script to execute changes; the script
connects via ssh to each affected system (in parallel) and checks out
new git commits from a central repository.

There are prepackaged solutions for this kind of thing, look for
etckeeper and propellor.  But I found they either had annoying
misfeatures (etckeeper insists on tracking _all_ files under /etc) or
were overkill for my modest needs.