On 2020.02.15 14:16, Peter Humphrey wrote:
On Friday, 14 February 2020 20:03:00 GMT Colleen Beamer wrote:

I have an older computer with Gentoo on it. I haven't updated it in quite a while because it necessitates a full reinstall and up until recently, I haven't had the time to devote to this. It is mostly backuped up on an external hard drive so, it what I'm asking can't be done, that's okay.

There seems to be a problem with loading MySQL. During the boot process when it comes to the loading of MySQL it hangs. Is there a way to bypass the loading of MySQL so the computer will complete booting and I can make sure I've gotten everything that I want off of it before I wipe it?

Have you tried setting rc_interactive="YES" in /etc/rc.conf? Then you can interrupt the boot process, and learn of several scripts that you didn't know were run.

I'm assuming an openrc system, of course.

I'm not the OP, but I recently had a similar situation - total freeze early during the boot process. What I wanted was a way to get that rc_interactive="YES" behavior - but by doing something at boot time. Otherwise, I needed to boot a live CD/DVD/thumb, edit rc.conf, and reboot. I was able to boot adding init=/bin/bash to the kernel command line, but then even though I could do "openrc sysinit" then "openrc boot" and then start "default" services individually, it took longer, since I had to try to figure out in what order services would have been started.

I wonder if booting with init=/bin/bash, editing rc.conf, and then doing "exec /sbin/init" would then put the system in a state (with proc 1 being init) as if it had booted normally, but with an interactive startup?

Jack