On 2020-03-03 10:27, Michael wrote:
On Tuesday, 3 March 2020 03:58:12 GMT Walter Dnes wrote:
On Mon, Mar 02, 2020 at 11:16:52PM +0100, n952162 wrote

I have a banner that says that "your browser is being managed by your
organization". Oh yeah? I guess that would be gentoo. How can I break
that relationship?
   Do you have Avast and/or AVG anti-virus?  See
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1264369 (Firefox) and
https://www.howtogeek.com/410106/why-does-chrome-say-its-managed-by-your-org
anization/ (Chrome).  Some browsers have started to report when they detect
external control, whether by Windows policies, or Avast/AVG.  Firefox
seems to be following the lead of Chrome here.
Are you sure this applies to Linux?

I had thought the warning shows up when some of the browser's default settings
have been changed, or additional TLS Certificates have been loaded.  If you go
to 'about:policies' you'll see anything changed there.  In mine FF has
DisableAppUpdate, because I manage this via portage and don't need FF to
notify me, or even worse try to update itself.

Yes, that's my situation.  You're right, if you click on the banner, it
takes you to about:policies and I'm happy with that policy.  When I
wrote the original post, it wasn't clear that that's all that's
affected, but I presume that's so.

The issue where it arose is that certain settings are not being recorded
for me - at least, I presume that the privacy warning tab isn't supposed
to appear on every start, and that I ought to be able to change my home
page.  As tempting as it is to see a conspiracy, once I realized that I
couldn't even unpin Amazon and have it stayed unpinned, I started
suspecting that something is wrong in my installation.

Someday when I have a day or two to waste, I'll re-emerge it.