On Fri, 1 May 2020 09:34:56 -0700
Mark Knecht <markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 1, 2020 at 12:33 AM Peter Humphrey <pe...@prh.myzen.co.uk>
> wrote:

> > > You do not *have to*, but if you find the PulseAudio server and
> associated
> > > GUI/CLI tools are convenient for you, then you can set up
> USE=pulseaudio and
> > > use that to mix your sound sinks and sources devices with.
> > >
> > > As Canek has already posted in most cases it just works.
> > > However, I
> must
> > > confess I had a spate of pa processes racing up to 100% CPU and
> annoyingly
> > > respawning each time I tried to kill it.  An update eventually
> > > fixed
> this
> > > problem and it worked fine ever since.
> >
> > Well, after setting USE=pulseaudio and emerging uaDvN @world, sound
> > has reappeared. I haven't tried multiple sources yet, but - one
> > thing at a
> time.
> > Web-cam next, in between recommissioning other boxes with my new
> display-port
> > KVM. I'm getting too old and stiff for this.  :(
> >

> I'm glad you made forward progress!
>
> QUESTION: I'm curious as to whether your Gentoo and my Kubuntu
> systemsettings are more similar. Did adding the pulseaudio flag
> create the Sound->Multimedia section with an 'Audio volume' area? If
> so that area, if working like mine, would show where you can send
> sound, allow you to enable/disable individual devices and set
> relative volumes, etc. Also, did it build pavucontrol or some version
> of it? If so that app is almost identical to my Multimedia section
> but adds VU meters so you can watch multiple apps generating audio,
> etc. I find it helpful when things don't go exactly as I expected.

On my Gentoo system the KDE System Settings->Multimedia used to have
the device priority section, but no longer does. However a search found
another application called "Phonon Audio and Video" which displays the
device priority. So maybe it has been moved from the System Settings in
a recent version of KDE. This is with Plasma version 5.17.5.

Further investigation reveals that Kmix has an option "Audio Setup..."
that does nothing, but examining xorg-session.log it outputs the error

   Could not find module 'kcm_phonon'. See kcmshell5 --list for the
   full list of modules.

which suggests a bug where either kcm_phonon should exist or kmix
should not use it.

Steve
Steve Evans            E-mail: mailto:ste...@gorbag.com
Registered Linux user #217906: http://counter.li.org
Public Encryption Key:         http://www.gorbag.com/public-key.html

5.4.28-gentoo Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz GNU/Linux

 19:28:29 up 7 days, 10:47,  4 users,  load average: 0.17, 0.39, 0.35