On Fri, 1 May 2020 19:42:54 +0100
Steve Evans <gentoo-u...@gorbag.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 1 May 2020 09:34:56 -0700
> Mark Knecht <markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, May 1, 2020 at 12:33 AM Peter Humphrey
> > <pe...@prh.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

> > associated
> > USE=pulseaudio and

> > must
> > > >
> > annoyingly
> > this
> > >
> > > Well, after setting USE=pulseaudio and emerging uaDvN @world,
> > > sound has reappeared. I haven't tried multiple sources yet, but -
> > > one thing at a
> > time.
> > > Web-cam next, in between recommissioning other boxes with my new
> > display-port
> > > KVM. I'm getting too old and stiff for this.  :(
> > >

> > I'm glad you made forward progress!
> >
> > QUESTION: I'm curious as to whether your Gentoo and my Kubuntu
> > systemsettings are more similar. Did adding the pulseaudio flag
> > create the Sound->Multimedia section with an 'Audio volume' area? If
> > so that area, if working like mine, would show where you can send
> > sound, allow you to enable/disable individual devices and set
> > relative volumes, etc. Also, did it build pavucontrol or some
> > version of it? If so that app is almost identical to my Multimedia
> > section but adds VU meters so you can watch multiple apps
> > generating audio, etc. I find it helpful when things don't go
> > exactly as I expected.
> >

> On my Gentoo system the KDE System Settings->Multimedia used to have
> the device priority section, but no longer does. However a search
> found another application called "Phonon Audio and Video" which
> displays the device priority. So maybe it has been moved from the
> System Settings in a recent version of KDE. This is with Plasma
> version 5.17.5.
>
> Further investigation reveals that Kmix has an option "Audio Setup..."
> that does nothing, but examining xorg-session.log it outputs the
> error
>
>    Could not find module 'kcm_phonon'. See kcmshell5 --list for the
>    full list of modules.
>
> which suggests a bug where either kcm_phonon should exist or kmix
> should not use it.

I found some more information. The Phonon KCM module was removed on
July 21st 2019, see https://phabricator.kde.org/D22616. It is replaced
by plasma-pa, which is a pulseaudio applet. Documentation at
https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/kde-workspace/kcontrol/plasma-pa/index.html#plasmoid
suggests that it supplies a control module that has devices in it. So I
suspect that rebuilding KDE with pulseaudio enabled will result in the
resurrection of the ability to select devices in KDE.

Steve
Steve Evans            E-mail: mailto:ste...@gorbag.com
Registered Linux user #217906: http://counter.li.org
Public Encryption Key:         http://www.gorbag.com/public-key.html

5.4.28-gentoo Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz GNU/Linux

 20:48:55 up 7 days, 12:07,  4 users,  load average: 0.10, 0.48, 0.43

You have a tendency to feel you are superior to most computers.