On 5/16/20 8:53 AM, n952162 wrote:
I did an emerge --sync and then "emerge -v1 portage" and it blew up all
over the place.  Log in the attachment.

How can I get things reestablished?  Or, does gentoo simply require a
smarter user than me, and I should go back to ubuntu?

I think the bottom line is that Gentoo needs to be updated more often than yearly.  Others may also comment, but right now, I think a reinstall might be easier than working through all the problems, unless you are trying to learn more about how things work.

My first question is why you have portage-9999 unmasked?  I suggest going for the lowest version currently in the tree.  I'm not sure if your first step should really be portage itself, or upgrading packages where the installed version is now masked due to security errors or being too out of date.

Jack