On Mon, Oct 05, 2020 at 01:51:45PM -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> emerge --ask --verbose --update --deep --newuse @world
> Would it have been best to refuse to do the emerges at that point in the
> installation?  The handbook was silent on that point except to say
> updates could be done after installation.

I would usually wait to get a working, bootable  system  before  worrying  about
updating everything to the newest version possible, however I'm still  surprised
that the configure script took issue with GCC this  early  in  the  installation
process.

> The gcc compiler works this time though the pcre package continues to
> break.  I'll get the output for it and share with the list as soon as I
> have it together.

OK, thank you.  Please remember to post the entire log of emerge, and the output
of `emerge --info <problematic package>`.  Gzip the former if it is very  large.

BTW: please stop top-posting (that  is,  quoting  the  entire  thread  and  then
prepending your response).  It is not only a tremendous waste of disk space, but
also makes it unclear as to which part of the quoted  message  you're  replying.
Interleaved style seems to be the most commonly used here. [1]

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Interleaved_style

--

Ashley Dixon
suugaku.co.uk