On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 2:46 PM antlists <antli...@youngman.org.uk> wrote:

> On 14/11/2020 18:48, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> > Probably the cause for me running into so much difficulty converting from
> > openrc to systemd is there is no path for systems using systemd unless
> > they're using uefi and going multi-user also, I tried doing the conversion
> > during installation and not as a post-install job.
>
> My system is BIOS at the moment, I have no desire to mess things up by
> switching to UEFI, and I will be well upset if it doesn't work with systemd.

All of my Gentoo hosts currently run systemd and none use UEFI, so
this configuration should work fine.  I'm not sure what indicated
otherwise.

>From my experience assuming your kernel config is compatible all you
really need to do in order to switch to systemd is use the systemd
profile, run updates, install systemd if it hasn't already happened,
and configure your bootloader to use systemd as init.  Oh, and
regenerate your initramfs if you want it to use systemd.

I'd have to check my notes, but that is roughly it.  Obviously you'll
need to configure your networking/services/etc once you have it all
running.

--
Rich