On 2020-11-25, Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Nov 2020 16:04:26 -0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
>
>> > I'm not sure chainloading would work as that requires a drive
>> > definition from which to load the boot sector.
>>
>> I thought that's what LVM provided was a drive definition.
>
> It's more like a partition definition, GRUB requires the boot sector/MBR
> of a whole drive.

I'm asking about chainloading. Grub has already been loaded via MBR
and grub's partition (which can be a normal physical partition if
needed). Grub is now running and displaying its menu. Each of the menu
entries instructs grub to load the first sector of a specified
partition into RAM and execute it. That sector can contain grub, LILO,
windows boot manager, whatever.  If grub understands LVM volumes, then
can it read that first sector from an LVM volume instead of a physical
partition?

--
Grant