On Sun, Dec 13, 2020 at 12:03 PM n952162 <n952...@web.de> wrote:

> On 12/13/20 9:18 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> >
> > Nearly 2 months, quite a long time in Gentoo update terms.
> >

> Okay, is the solution then to re-install?

Personally I wouldn't start with a reinstall.

I'd start with my world file and remove/comment out every 'application' not
required to keep the machine running/booting. That should be nearly
everything other than things like grub, your kernels, hardware drivers,
terminals, etc.

NOTE: Just because you comment something out in the world file doesn't mean
it won't run, it just won't get updated or be part of portage's
considerations about what to do.

At that point emerge @world should only be considering, from a build POV,
the stuff you really need.

This python problem everyone is having I cannot help with. Solving problems
like that is why people run Gentoo. With lots of power comes lots of
responsibility. However with all the applications 'unconsidered' you have a
chance of getting the really important stuff built and booting.

If I got that far then I'd start adding apps back in/uncommenting one or
two at a time and see if I could make headway.

I've updated machines that were a year out of date but it took days and
days. If I didn't want to build code every week I decided I couldn't run
Gentoo.

HTH,
Mark