From: Roy Wright [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, October 30, 2005 3:12 PM
To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] updates

John Dangler wrote:

>Holly~
>
>Thanks for the reply.  It seems fairly straightforward.  From reading this,
>I would think that running module-rebuild populate would be the first task.
>Add/Del package would be for building discriminate versions of a kernel
>(presumably for locating problems or just testing out a kernel revision),
>list is simply a list of what's been 'populate'd, toggle would have similar
>usage as Add/Del, except that it would allow/disallow a package which has
>been 'populate'd, and rebuild would be the heart of the reason for this
>utility, to rebuild a set of modules into a new kernel.  Assuming I'm at
>least somewhat correct in this, my only point of confusion is whether I
>compile the new kernel first, then run module-rebuild? Or does running
>module-rebuild 'rebuild' allow me to compile the new kernel, link it, and
>reboot into it?
>
>Regards,
>
>JD

http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/20051024-newsletter.xml

Under "Tips and tricks".

Basically just:

# module-rebuild list
# module-rebuild rebuild

I noticed that if you do another "list" after the "rebuild", the
same modules show as needing rebuild.  Then after a reboot
the "list" shows clean.  So I'm assuming the "list" is against
your running kernel.

HTH,
Roy