On 2/25/21 2:51 AM, Michael wrote:
It would probably be better even with a lot of customizations.  ;-)

Please elaborate on what "better" means in this case. I'm thinking that you might be meaning "faster" and / or "easier" (as in less effort).

At least it /should/ be better in terms of time and effort spent.

Maybe.

A reinstall in this context is not a wholesale replace.

~blink~

It implies obtaining the latest Stage 3 archive from a mirror, but retaining part of your current installation. Your /home, /etc, /var/lib/portage/world, plus any databases e.g. in /var/lib/mysql/ and your kernel config will be retained from your existing system and will not be replaced. Back these up first along with any particular customizations you have made, before you untar Stage 3, so you can restore them.

Ah. You seem to be talking about what I would call an "in place upgrade" for Windows. As in stalling n over top of n-1 or n-2. That's definitely less disruptive than I was thinking. I was thinking that fdisk and / or mkfs would be involved.

Then rsync portage, update all your @world packages and build a new kernel (make oldconfig). Spend some time merging existing application config files with etc-update to make them compatible with the latest versions of these packages, reboot and hopefully that should be all there is to it.

I may end up /needing/ to go that route. For the moment, I'm going to try the incremental updates.

Yes, it would have been, but what is the benefit of updating multiple packages many times over, instead of doing it just once?

In some ways, this is a learning experience.  As in it's a proof of concept.

The computer in question spends 2/3 of it's life doing nothing but idling a few programs. So, it spending time compiling and producing heat is not a bad thing in this case. Especially when there's 10" of snow on the ground. ;-)

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die