On Fri, 26 Feb 2021 11:44:12 -0700, Grant Taylor wrote:

> I have run into a few problems where emerge can't download files.  So
> I'm finding them online, downloading them, and saving them to
> /usr/portage/distfiles.

Ah yes, I hadn't thought about the mirrors being too up to date.

> I have had a couple things (really old kernel source still installed)
> that I needed to find the ebuild files for.  I added them to my local
> repository.

If the packages are installed, the ebuilds are in var/db/pkg. The kernel
shouldn't be a problem, I would expect you to be able to jump straight to
the current version, although you may prefer to recompile it once you are
fully up to date on the toolchain.

--
Neil Bothwick

Crash: (v.) to terminate a program in the usual fashion, i.e. by locking
up the computer or setting fire to the printer. (n.) the process of such
termination.