And while I'm being talkative I'd like to second what Holly and a few
others have hinted at. Command of language is essential. As someone who
stumbled into the admin/network business nine years ago I can say that my
writing and language skills, specifically the lack of either, did far more to
hold my career back than any missing technical skills.

Indeed, life is harder for those of us who don't have English as first
language.

kashani, still trying to get his German, Spanish, and Farsi up to speed

In a way I am glad to have English as a native language but in others most decidedly not. Can you imagine how hard it is to learn another language when everyone wants to speak English to you? I even speak a bastard dialect (linguisticly one of the "purest" but where have the "standards" gone!) and that doesn't help... I speak a few languages and am pretty good at accents (by far the best way to get people to forget you are a foreigner) but still get frustrated with the eagerness with which people switch to English with me. My philosophy has always been when in Rome but anyway... I guess Rome is now the internet.
Salem,
Antoine
ps. I have just started Arabic - Sabah lkhair! It's not morning but unfortunately the Al-Jazeerah website seems to only stream... wma! (Haven't got to evening yet!) argh! and gentoo+mplayer/xine doesn't like it... and I thought it was a "libre" thinking news source!
pps. any hints on getting al-jazeera (audio of their news channel) to work?