tastytea wrote:
> On 2021-07-01 13:16+0200 Dr Rainer Woitok <rainer.woi...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Dale,
>>
>> On Thursday, 2021-07-01 01:59:57 -0500, you wrote:

>>>                                              Should I version the
>>> system.map file the same as kernels?
>> Not sure about that.   Mine ARE versioned.   That's probably what
>> "grub- mkconfig" is doing by default.
> I compile kernels with `genkernel`, and it produces versioned files:
>   System.map-5.4.97-gentoo-x86_64
>   System.map-5.10.27-gentoo-x86_64
>   initramfs-5.4.97-gentoo-x86_64.img
>   initramfs-5.10.27-gentoo-x86_64.img
>   vmlinuz-5.4.97-gentoo-x86_64
>   vmlinuz-5.10.27-gentoo-x86_64
>
> Kind regards, tastytea

This info is helpful.  I tend to do mine by hand, I may only upgrade my
kernel once, maybe twice, a year.  I don't reboot very often so there is
no point in upgrading every time a new one comes out.  After reading
this, I've copied over the proper system.map files and versioned them to
match the kernel names.  I'll run grub-mkconfig just in case shortly.
I've always had *A* file there but never copied newer versions over
before. Honestly, I didn't know if it was needed or not.  It has a lot
of info in it tho so I figured it wise to ask.

Thanks to all for the info.  Now I have a better understanding of what I
need to do and how.

Dale

:-)  :-)

P. S.  Back to the woods.  Putting out fertilizer for the trees.
Supposed to rain in the next day or so.