Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Jul 2021 13:16:29 +0200, Dr Rainer Woitok wrote:
>
>> Same here.   And whenever  I configure  a new kernel  my kernel managing
>> script makes sure both,  the kernel I'm currenty running on  and the one
>> just configured are in "@world".  That way "emerge --depclean" will nev-
>> er remove a kernel package.
> You can also do that with sets. Add this to sets.conf
>
> [kernels]
> class = portage.sets.dbapi.OwnerSet
> world-candidate = False
> files = /usr/src
>
> add emerge -n @kernels once. Then depclean will never touch a kernel
> source package.

>>>                                              Should I version the
>>> system.map file the same as kernels?
>> Not sure about that.   Mine ARE versioned.   That's probably what "grub-
>> mkconfig" is doing by default.
> grub-mkconfig only reads the files, it is the make install step of kernel
> installation that takes care of copying the files to /boot with the
> correct version numbers. ISTR Dale prefers to copy the kernel files
> manually, which is why his System.map is not versioned.

I do copy mine manually.  It's how it was done when I first started
using Gentoo and I just stuck with it, it works.  It's just one
additional file.  Thing is, I may read up on the script way of doing
things.  It may help make dracut and grub-mkconfig happy.  Sometimes I
have to fiddle with names to get them both happy.  I suspect the script
tools handle that with ease.

Now I got to go find that signature about the cat and free bagpipes.  I
want to send that to a friend.  She'll get a kick out of that.  lol

Dale

:-)  :-)