On Mon, 20 Sep 2021 15:29:30 +0100
Michael <confabul...@kintzios.com> wrote:

> With a year old system you should question if reinstalling your
> system after a back up of configuration and data files would be a
> smarter approach.  If you *must* upgrade your current installation
> for learning or as an experiment, then this is something which has
> been done before.

I know. I'm a happy Gentoo user for more than 20 years now. However,
this is the master installation for a diskless setup providing the
baseline for more than a dozen servers. Of course, I can still reinstall
but this would be more work than just one machine + a few config files.
As one year is not too terribly old (imho) and this looked like
something that might be easily solved, I decided to ask for advice here
first.

> Personally, I'd back up /home /etc and world file, plus any databases
> or websites if stored under /var/, then untar the latest stage 3
> tarball and update @system and @world.

Just extracting stage3 over everything that is already there?

>  Overall it should be a *much*
> faster approach to allow you to bring your installation up to date.

Well, yeah, your mileage may vary.

cu
  Gerrit