On 14/10/2021 09:28, Miles Malone wrote:
So the default being for git to act like git, instead of git to act
like an alternative to rsync, makes perfect sense in that context.

And once it's sync'd the first time, I think sync depth is ignored. It normally doesn't make much difference anyway, because git stores the current version in full, and then just diffs going backwards.

The difference between a sync=1 and sync=0 isn't that much for linux I gather - maybe doubles the size?

For a normal user who just wants to USE portage, a sync of 1 makes sense. They can then always go back as far as when they first set it up, anyway.

Cheers,
Wol