p...@xvalheru.org wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've bought a new SSD and I want to install gentoo on it. I'd like to
> heare some suggestions how to partition it. I'm planning small /boot
> partition, / partition and /data (including home) partition. But I'm
> not sure if I should create a swap partition or swap to file. I'm
> daily hibernating the system to disk. And what should be the size od
> the swap same as RAM or bigger?
>
> Thanks
>
> Pat

> Freehosting PIPNI - http://www.pipni.cz/

This is some info from my system.  I use KDE and the size of /usr is a
bit large since I have Kicad and some other software I can't recall the
name of installed.  Kicad has some huge libraries installed so it takes
up a little over 5GBs of space on its own.  That said, allowing extra
space if you don't use something like LVM that can be expanded is a good
idea.  Software is growing.  You may need to add some directories
together depending on how or even if you have separate partitions for
some things.  Ignore /home here.  Info:

root@fireball / # du -shc /*
144G    /backup
11M     /bin
159M    /boot
33M     /etc
8.4T    /home
1.8G    /lib
19M     /lib64
16K     /lost+found
24K     /mnt
741M    /opt
0       /proc
193M    /root
1.6M    /run
16M     /sbin
5.8M    /tmp
20G     /usr
21G     /var
8.6T    total
root@fireball / #

In the past, I had log files go weird and fill up /var.  Since then,
I've put /var on a separate partition.  On mine, yours may be as well,
the portage tree, distfiles and packages are also in /var.

If you need additional info, just post back.  Otherwise, hope this helps.

Dale

:-)  :-)