Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2021-12-10, Nikos Chantziaras <rea...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 09/12/2021 21:27, p...@xvalheru.org wrote:
>>> I'm planning small /boot partition, / partition and /data (including
>>> home) partition.
>> I just use one partition. What's the point of having multiple ones if
>> they're all on the same storage device?
> I find it easier to re-install if home and data directories are on a
> different filesystem than the system stuff.
>
> --
> Grant

Plus if you use LVM or some other similar software, you can expand as
needed.  I have /boot and / on regular file systems for simple booting.
I have /usr and /var on their own partition.  Obviously /home is on it's
own and on multiple hard drives at that.  Since I did my install on this
rig, I've had to expand /usr at least twice, maybe three times.  I've
also had to expand /var as well.  If one doesn't use LVM or similar,
then you have to redo pretty much everything or reinstall.  I've done
that in the past and I learned to use LVM.  One day, I may switch to
BTFS, sp?, or similar.  That said, LVM works fine for me at the moment.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I've had a log file go crazy and fill
up /var.  My system continued to run just fine.  However, if it was on
the same file system as / is on, that could have created problems.
Could even cause a crash and may not even reboot normally either.  Just
depends on what must store things there I guess.

Just thoughts.  Each has to do things to suit their situation.

Dale

:-)  :-)