On Sat, Mar 26, 2022 at 10:02 AM Peter Humphrey <pe...@prh.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

> On Saturday, 26 March 2022 15:14:11 GMT ny6p01 wrote:
> > Just a shot in the dark, but is alsasound service starting correctly?
>
> It doesn't run at all, not even while I'm listening after restarting PA. I
> have alsa-lib, alsa-topology-conf, alsa-ucm-conf and alsa-plugins installed,
> but 'ps -ax | grep alsa' finds nothing. Also, I have no alsasound service.
>
> I assume that PA doesn't need a running alsa process to function.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Peter.

PA might not (or doesn't - my system has no alsa processes) need alsa
processes but it almost certainly using Alsa drivers.

lsmod | grep snd
lsmod | sound

However those depend on what you build as modules vs hard code into
your kernel.

ls /proc/asound would give you a view into what function, if any, alsa is
performing.