Hi,

Without going into a long drawn out explanation, I was having a problem
with something on my system and though that maybe it was because of the
upgrade I did to MySQL.  So, I decided I was going to unmerge MySQL and
emerge it again.  That may have been a dumb move, but what the heck, you
learn by your mistakes right?

Anyway, that seemed to be fine, but now, I'm getting an error message:

ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (111)

I googled for this and gather that it has something to do with the
placement of the mysqld.sock file.

The problem is the only post that I found that was specific to Gentoo
was in German.  Since I don't want to screw things up any more than they
already are, I'm turning here for help.

I do have the file /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock

How do I fix this?

Regards,

Colleen