On Sun, Aug 14, 2022 at 3:44 PM Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:

<SNIP>

> Thoughts?  Ideas?
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

Do you happen to have an old computer laying around? If so check
out TrueNAS Core.

You'd need one small OS drive and 2 backup drives - your current
7TB and one more to build the recommended RAID. It compresses,
saves older revs of files if possible with snapshots. Is supports
NFS mounts for media/etc, chroot jails and lots of other stuff.

The default version has been FreeBSD based so I had some
learning to do but I think there's now a Linux version.

It appears that possibly you have your backup drive in your
computer so it moves backups to a separate machine which
you can locate remotely so you're probably safer in terms of
a fire or some other catastrophic event.

If this appeals and you have the hardware you can build
a box and mess with it but it certainly does the minimal
number of things you are asking for.

HTH,
Mark