Mark Knecht wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 14, 2022 at 4:21 PM Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com
> <mailto:rdalek1...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> > Mark Knecht wrote:
> >

> > Do you happen to have an old computer laying around? If so check
> > out TrueNAS Core.
> <SNIP>
> > That may be a option later.  I'm actually considering build a NAS
> but right now, costs are preventing that.  I almost have enough that I
> could build another computer.  I have a mobo, memory, CPU and such.  I
> think I only need a power supply and maybe a video card.  Could use a
> case for it to but could mount it on a wall somewhere.  Good air flow.
>  lol
> <SNIP>
> > This new fiber thing is going to take some getting used too.  ;-)
>
> I experienced much of the same thing (more data) when my connection
> got faster.
>
> Expense of a separate system to build a NAS is always an issue and
> you've received excellent guidance from other folks here about how to
> do it locally so I think you're set.
>
> A couple of things:
>
> 1) I didn't see mentioned so I will - the NAS, being on the network,
> is connected over gigabit Ethernet in my case so backups are
> significantly faster than using USB drives, or at least much faster
> than my older USB. I get about 800mbit/Sec sustained transfers. Once
> you get the main backup done the incremental ones are very fast. (Go
> to the kitchen fast)
>
> 2) The NAS, when attached, is mounted over NFS as a directory and I
> use rsync to do the transfers so it's all very familiar on the client
> side. I think that's important to you today but likely won't be as
> much of an issue if you get used to some new backup application.
>
> 3) Compression is done on the NAS and is transparent from the client
> side. I can browse directories and retrieve individual files. As I
> think you mentioned you won't get much compression - close to zero -
> for movies but for my general data and VMs overall I'm getting about
> 40% so there's a big disk saving. Compute requirements are pretty low.
> I bought a used MB with a 6th gen i5 Core processor with 4 cores and
> it hardly works to do the compression.
>
> Good luck with whatever you do.
>
> Mark

As it is, I have several options.  In a way, I wish I could tell rsync
to do 1st half of alphabet to one drive and then with next command tell
it to do the 2nd half of alphabet.  That would likely split the data in
half for each one.  If videos can't be compressed, that would be the
best idea, outside a NAS that works as a backup.  On that note, power
from the wall wise, I like the Raspberry Pi idea.  Dang things are
pretty powerful and pull very little power.  I think 20 watts or so at
most for the board itself then add a little for hard drive power.  I
can't imagine a complete setup pulling more than 50 or 75 watts when
idle and maybe even when really busy.

I need to do something but not sure what yet.  :/   USPS says larger
drive will be here Friday.  That should give me time to run SMART tests
and then update backups Saturday or Sunday.  I already planned what goes
where.  Then I'll have a spare 3TB drive.  I really wish I had bought
several more Rosewill external drive enclosures.  So far, I have yet to
have a drive problem while using one of those.  The eSATA ports are nice
too.

Dale

:-)  :-)