On Wed, 14 Sep 2022 16:50:45 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:

> I'm thinking of separating /usr onto its own partition so that I can
> have it mounted read-only except while updating it. I'd prefer not to
> have to make an init thingy, not having needed one up to now. Besides,
> some machines have things like early-ucode or amd-uc.

Most of this has already been answered, except for your final point. You
can load more than one initrd at boot, so you can still apply microcode
updates. For example, with systemd-boot

title   Desktop
version 5.15.59-gentoo
linux   /vmlinuz-5.15.59-gentoo
options root=LABEL=blah blah
initrd  /amd-uc.img
initrd  /initramfs-5.15.59-gentoo.img

I use dracut to create the initrd, which is so straighforward even Dale
can't break it ;-)

--
Neil Bothwick

What is a "free" gift ? Aren't all gifts free?