On Thu, 15 Sep 2022 05:00:25 -0500, Dale wrote:

> As I said, I do all mine by hand.  I don't use make install etc.  After
> I build my kernel, I copy it and name it something like this, from
> /boot.

[snip]
> Once I get that done, I then build the init thingy.  This is Neil's
> command that he posted.  From my understanding, the kernel symlink needs
> to point to the correct kernel version.
>
> dracut --kver=$(cat include/config/kernel.release)

This should be run from within the kernel source directory. It picks up
the version from the source so the symlink is irrelevant.

> That gives a init thingy with a somewhat generic name.  I then rename it
> to match the kernel, looks something like this from /boot.

If you use make install to install the kernel, dracut gives the initramfs
a matching name.

--
Neil Bothwick

Time is the best teacher; unfortunately it kills all its students.