User "waltdnes" is a member of "wheel". If the "wheel" line is
uncommented in /etc/sudoers, sudo works for me.
So you could create the file "/etc/sudoers.d/000" with the following content:

    %wheel ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL
    %wheel ALL=(ALL:ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL

and your user is able to synchronise your clock again.

I do not know, what the developers were thinking to encourage the user to edit a default file, which gets potentially overwritten after each package update...

"etc-update" helps to have an eye on, but muscle memory and fast fingers are sometimes faster.

I go with the more locked down approach
This is the best way. Try to be as precise as possible, but be aware of wildcards![1]

-Ramon

[1] https://blog.compass-security.com/2012/10/dangerous-sudoers-entries-part-4-wildcards/