On Wed, Oct 26, 2022 at 3:42 AM Ramon Fischer <ramon_fisc...@hotmail.de> wrote:

> I do not know, what the developers were thinking to encourage the user
> to edit a default file, which gets potentially overwritten after each
> package update...
>
> "etc-update" helps to have an eye on, but muscle memory and fast fingers
> are sometimes faster.

The Gentoo preference tends to be to follow upstream.  So if sudo
upstream distributes a file like this that has comments encouraging
users to edit it, then that is likely how Gentoo will ship it.  If
sudo switched to moving everything into an include-based system
UPSTREAM then Gentoo would probably start shipping that.  If you look
at the sudo ebuild you'll see that the config files are 100% upstream.

If you look at things like systemd units or udev rules they're much
more include-oriented, as this is the upstream preference.

Gentoo has emphasized using config file protection early on, and
doesn't have any official preference for using included config
directories distro-wide.  Portage has been moving in this direction
for a while though (for the stuff in /etc/portage).

--
Rich