I've just had emerge telling me it wants to trash my postfix config :-)

I'm not sure whether my setup is actually using it, I use dovecot to deliver my mail, but is there any way I can stop random updates trying to trash my local changes? I'm rubbish at merging updates, and last time I tried I think the result was a complete mess.

And I said I use dovecot to deliver mail - that takes a leaf out of the systemd book and has a master config file pointing to a local config file. Any updates to dovecot don't touch the local file, and don't touch my local settings.

Can I do anything similar for postfix?

Cheers,
Wol