On 27/11/2022 15:49, Mike Civil wrote:
On 27/11/2022 14:50, Wol wrote:
Postfix afaik just has one humungous config file, so when your distro updates the config, all your local changes are trashed :-(

I don't want to faff about with special copies, backups, origs etc. Everything should "just work (tm)".

Except that portage doesn't overwrite stuff under /etc by default. It saves the new config file and then tells you there's an update so you can use etc-update or dispatch-conf to check/merge/abort the changes. After all the new version of software may need a change to the old config file.

It's not portage I'm worried about, it's me!

Systemd DOES NOT PUT YOUR LOCAL CONFIG IN DANGER.

Dovecot DOES NOT PUT YOUR LOCAL CONFIG IN DANGER (if you do it properly).

EVERY SINGLE POSTFIX UPDATE PUTS YOUR CONFIG IN DANGER.

Of course, if you're Mr Perfect you won't have a problem. Why can't postfix *protect* me, like systemd or dovecot do?

NB - The Linux Filesystem Hierarchy (such as it is now) says that the distro should not be writing to /etc ! Default system state belongs in /usr, live system state belongs in /etc, and if the distro updates /etc it is basically corrupting system state. Which may or may not be acceptable - and here it isn't.

Cheers,
Wol