On 21/12/22 14:19, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
Am Wed, Dec 21, 2022 at 05:53:03AM +0000 schrieb Wols Lists:

On 21/12/2022 02:47, Dale wrote:
In layman’s term, a stripe of mirrors. Raid-1 is the mirror, Raid-0 a (JBOD)
pool. So mirror + pool = mirrorpool, hence the 1+0 → 10.

I tend to use older drives that have led a hard life - so failure happens and I have to be prepared for it (by having good backups!)

I have found mirrors to be problematic  - sometimes when one drive fails, it causes a cascade of fails that includes the data on the mirror.  With raid-10, its worse (even more fragile). When I eventually moved away from raid for my main data store it was because of a catastrophic failure of a bcache ssd fronting one of the mirrors causing all data to be lost - somewhat self-caused by using bcache to try and get some more speed out of the system, but as a RAID 10 with 4 HDD fronted by 4x SSD it should have survived ...  In the end, I realised that raided data gave me a small speedup with little or no benefit as regards reliable data storage.  I currently have one linux raid 10 using 4xSSD's that has suffered one SSD abrupt failure and survived - which I regard as "being lucky".  SSD's are an issue as they usually fail abruptly without warning whereas spinning rust usually gives some warning.

I've never tried RAID-6 as it was still considered buggy/risky at the time.

No matter what storage system you use, offline backups are better - raid is NOT a viable backup.

Fun, innit?

YEP!

BillK