On 17/04/2023 19:26, Walter Dnes wrote:
   Now that the (no)multilib problem in my latest update has been solved,
I have a somewhat minor complaint.  Can I get etc-update to skip certain
files?  My latest emerge world wanted to "update"...

1) /etc/hosts (1)
2) /etc/inittab (1)
3) /etc/mtab (1)
4) /etc/conf.d/consolefont (1)
5) /etc/conf.d/hwclock (1)
6) /etc/default/grub (1)
7) /etc/ssh/sshd_config (1)

...hosts is critical for networking.  consolefont allows me tp use the
true text console with a readable font, etc, etc.  I have my reasons
for making certain settings, and keeping them that way.

I had it want to update grub. Which would have utterly borked my system the moment I updated my kernel.

Okay, the problem is where you mix user and system config in the same file, but this would have deleted lvm and mdadm from my boot config, rendering any kernel unbootable. :-(

Like it tried to update postfix many moons ago and would have destroued my mail config ...

Surely there's some way of fixing this ...

Cheers,
Wol