On Sunday, 20 August 2023 13:58:08 BST Dale wrote:
> Michael wrote:

> > OpenVPN is a VPN implementation using OpenSSL to encrypt the end-to-end
> > network connection between client and server.  There are other VPN
> > implementations and client-server applications using different encryption
> > mechanisms and a wide variety of ciphers/algos.
> >
> > OpenVPN is offered as a method to set up a secure connection to an ever
> > increasing number of VPN ISPs, who are essentially selling an anonymising
> > service.
> >
> > Surfshark happens to be one of these ISPs and OpenVPN is just one of the
> > methods they offer to secure  the connection to their servers.
>
> Some responses are for the OP, some for the person replying or both.
>
> This is correct.  Like a lot of VPN providers, Surfshark has their own
> software you can install however Gentoo doesn't have it in the tree, or
> a overlay that I know of.

As I understand it, Surfshark offers OpenVPN and WireGuard binaries for those
who don't compile their own software, or for those who can't configure their
OpenVPN/WireGuard client to point it to the Surfshark servers.

Surfshark also provide extensions for browsers, for those who can't set their
browser's proxy settings to use selectively the VPN tunnel.

I haven't looked into Surfshark to know their particular offerings, GUI front
ends and mobile phone options, but generally speaking VPN configurations can
be:

Full tunnel, whereby the PC default routing is configured to route all
external network connections through the VPN tunnel.

Split tunnel, whereby some domain/IP connections are routed via the VPN tunnel
(e.g. to your company's LAN/Intranet), but the rest of the PC connections
continue to be routed normally via the local ISP connection.  In this way, you
can connect to the corporate network securely to access corporate files/
emails/databases, etc., while still being able to browse the latest sports
results, or whatever is available across the Interwebs without going through
your company's network.