Michael wrote:
> On Sunday, 20 August 2023 13:58:08 BST Dale wrote:
>> Michael wrote:
>>> OpenVPN is a VPN implementation using OpenSSL to encrypt the end-to-end
>>> network connection between client and server.  There are other VPN
>>> implementations and client-server applications using different encryption
>>> mechanisms and a wide variety of ciphers/algos.
>>>
>>> OpenVPN is offered as a method to set up a secure connection to an ever
>>> increasing number of VPN ISPs, who are essentially selling an anonymising
>>> service.
>>>
>>> Surfshark happens to be one of these ISPs and OpenVPN is just one of the
>>> methods they offer to secure  the connection to their servers.
>> Some responses are for the OP, some for the person replying or both.
>>
>> This is correct.  Like a lot of VPN providers, Surfshark has their own
>> software you can install however Gentoo doesn't have it in the tree, or
>> a overlay that I know of.
> As I understand it, Surfshark offers OpenVPN and WireGuard binaries for those
> who don't compile their own software, or for those who can't configure their
> OpenVPN/WireGuard client to point it to the Surfshark servers.
>
> Surfshark also provide extensions for browsers, for those who can't set their
> browser's proxy settings to use selectively the VPN tunnel.
>
> I haven't looked into Surfshark to know their particular offerings, GUI front
> ends and mobile phone options, but generally speaking VPN configurations can
> be:
>
> Full tunnel, whereby the PC default routing is configured to route all
> external network connections through the VPN tunnel.
>
> Split tunnel, whereby some domain/IP connections are routed via the VPN
> tunnel
> (e.g. to your company's LAN/Intranet), but the rest of the PC connections
> continue to be routed normally via the local ISP connection.  In this way,
> you
> can connect to the corporate network securely to access corporate files/
> emails/databases, etc., while still being able to browse the latest sports
> results, or whatever is available across the Interwebs without going through
> your company's network.

I did my setup the manual way.  I couldn't find a decent howto so I
found it easier.  There may be other ways I'm not aware of but copying
one file and creating a file for login seems easy enough.

I do sometimes wish I could tell Firefox to bypass the VPN but as I
said, it sounded complicated to setup so I never tried.  I'm sure it is
doable tho.

At least Walter has a few options.  If he doesn't like Surfshark, I'm
sure others would work the same way.  Your way may be easier and cheaper
tho.

Dale

:-)  :-)