On Mon, Sep 11, 2023 at 10:05 PM Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Sep 2023 21:19:27 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
>
> > chromium has been building since 10:14, it's now 21:16 and still going
> > so 9 hours at least on this machine to build a browser - almost as bad
> > as openoffice at it's worst (regularly took 12 hours). Nodejs also took
> > a while, but I didn't record time.
>
> Chromium is definitely the worst, and strangely variable. The last few
> compiles have taken between 6 and 14 hours. Since it takes longer than
> everything else to build, it is usually compiling on its own, so parallel
> emerges aren't a factor.
>
> Qtwebengine is also bad, not surprising as it is a cut down Chromium.
> Emerging world with --exclude then timing build to coincide with sleep
> helps, although I haven't quite reached the age where I need 14 hours of
> sleep a day.
>

> --
> Neil Bothwick
>
> If it isn't broken, I can fix it.

Yup, that jibes with what I see. Oh well, just means that the need for
overnight compiles did not go away haha

Thanks to every one else that replied too - everyone said much the same
thing so I figured one replay to rule them all was the best way

Alan
--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com