On Monday, 11 September 2023 21:21:47 BST Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 11, 2023 at 10:05 PM Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Mon, 11 Sep 2023 21:19:27 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > > chromium has been building since 10:14, it's now 21:16 and still going
> > > so 9 hours at least on this machine to build a browser - almost as bad
> > > as openoffice at it's worst (regularly took 12 hours). Nodejs also took
> > > a while, but I didn't record time.
> >
> > Chromium is definitely the worst, and strangely variable. The last few
> > compiles have taken between 6 and 14 hours. Since it takes longer than
> > everything else to build, it is usually compiling on its own, so parallel
> > emerges aren't a factor.
> >
> > Qtwebengine is also bad, not surprising as it is a cut down Chromium.
> > Emerging world with --exclude then timing build to coincide with sleep
> > helps, although I haven't quite reached the age where I need 14 hours of
> > sleep a day.
> >

> > --
> > Neil Bothwick
> >
> > If it isn't broken, I can fix it.
>
> Yup, that jibes with what I see. Oh well, just means that the need for
> overnight compiles did not go away haha
>
> Thanks to every one else that replied too - everyone said much the same
> thing so I figured one replay to rule them all was the best way
>

> Alan

As the old saying goes, "there ain't no substitute to cubic inches".  Moar
cores and moar RAM is almost always the solution, but with laptops and older
PCs in general overnight builds soon become inevitable.  Selectively reducing
jobs and adding swap, or for packages like rust placing /var/tmp/portage on
the disk becomes necessary.

A solution I use for older/smaller laptops is to build binaries on a more
powerful PC and emerge these in turn on the weaker PCs.

There's also the option of using bin alternatives where available, e.g.
google-chrome, firefox-bin, libreoffice-bin.

Finally, there is a small scale project to provide systemd based binaries as
an alternative to building your own:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Experimental_binary_package_host