Michael wrote:
> On Tuesday, 19 September 2023 12:13:40 BST Dale wrote:
>> Hmmmm,
>>
>> For some reason, I didn't get Michael's email.  I see him being quoted
>> but don't have his original.  I wonder what is up with that.  O-o
> Assuming you will receive this message, have a look here:
>
> https://marc.info/?l=gentoo-user&m=169511184714476&w=2
>

>> Rich Freeman wrote:
>>> While that can help on websites, it is of no use for full disk
>>> encryption passwords - at least not without jumping through some big
>>> hoops.
>>>
>>> In order to crack your LUKS password somebody obviously needs to be
>>> able to read the encrypted contents of your disk.  They cannot begin
>>> cracking it until they have a copy of the LUKS headers.  However, once
>>> they do have it, they can make a copy and crack it at their leisure.
>>> If they manage to crack it, then it will give them the volume key.  At
>>> that point if they were able to make a full copy of your disk they can
>>> read whatever was on it at the time.  If they can make a fresh copy of
>>> your disk then changing the passphrase will not change the volume key,
>>> and so they'll be able to read what is currently on your disk.
>>>
>>> Changing the volume key would defeat this, but requires running
>>> cryptsetup-reencrypt which will take considerable time/CPU, though it
>>> sounds like it can be done online.
>> Let's jump into a hypothetical here.  Let's say I'm a nasty terrorist or
>> some other really evil dude.  Let's say I have passwords are that really
>> good.  Let's say around 20 characters and a really nice mix of
>> characters.  If some gov't agency got my hard drive, how long would it
>> take for them to crack it?
> A couple of minutes?
>
> https://xkcd.com/538/
>
> :-)

I did get this one.  I also got the other message, I think at the same
time.  It sure did arrive late tho.  I have mine set up to view as
threads.  This thread looked odd until it got the previous message.
Must have got hung up somewhere.  Maybe a server somewhere had to reboot
and it took a while.  ROFL

I like the cartoon.  In some countries, that would likely be a first
option.  :/

Dale

:-)  :-)